Sunday, January 18, 2009

Boston to Hartford Bus Options

The arrival of Megabus in December 2008 signaled the end of expensive New York-Hartford-Boston Bus routes. They offered $15 or less tickets, (they would call it $1 or more) each way.

Review and details about each bus line will be blogged about later, but here are is a review of the bus options you have now:

Greyhound - $32 one-way. Student Advantage Card gets you 15% off...and anybody can get a Student Advantage card. It's totally worth it. This is the most expensive bus line and it usually stops in Worcester, but it has many times available and you can rely on it showing up.

Megabus - $15 or less. Reliable, but taking the Hartford to Boston route can be challenging. It will leave early if it arrives early from New York. I'd get to the bus at least 30 minutes to ensure you catch your ride. This is not necessary if the bus encounters traffic from New York, but if you are taking a weekend morning trip from Hartford, it will likely come early. Just because you have a reservation does not mean they will wait for you.

Boston Deluxe / GoToBus - $15. Goes from Boston Christian Science Center to 365 Capitol Ave, Hartford, CT. I have never taken, but I hear it's okay. They will drive you in a van though if not enough reservations are made.

LuckyStar - $15 (it supposedly stops in Vernon, CT at the Burger King on Exit 57) but the drivers/customer service workers are completely unaware of this. What's worse you can actually buy a ticket online to Vernon, CT, but you MUST tell the driver or worker. You might have to argue for this stop even if you properly bought your ticket. You may be asked to provide a $5 tip as well. I would not recommend LuckyStar. They are not an honest business.

Questions/Comments? Please make yourself heard!

1 comment:

  1. Great blog you have here!

    I have to say, I am glad that Lucky Star stopped their Vernon route because I don't feel enclined to give my money to such a terrible business. I will never forget the time I was supposed to arrive in Vernon at Midnight (as per my ticket information) and, because the Burger King is closed, the driver just didn't stop. I yelled at him (and annoyed many sleeping passengers) until he dropped me off on the side of the road. In another town. My car was in Vernon. It was the middle of the night and I am a 24-year-old female. Luckily, I was able to call a cab and retreive my car.

    I kind of like Boston Deluxe, probably due to the fact that it is more of an advenutre than anything. The first time my "bus" pulled up and it was a van driver by an insane woman was a day to remember! If you don't mind close quarters with strangers and possible motionsickness, Boston Deluxe is a good deal. Being dropped off at the Pru is an added advantage, as well!

    ReplyDelete